Wednesday 21 April 2010

Trailer Soundtrack


In making a slasher horror trailer, I initially looked to use fruity loops software to create and edit the soundtrack for the movie. I created 3 different instrumental soundtracks which I sampled and decided on the best one to use. I chose to only use a part of the soundtrack created as I had also sourced another sample from istock audio http://www.istockphoto.com and overlaid both sounds (although subtle in the background) created scary and intense build up that fitted the slasher horror movie perfectly. Istock Audio had a huge library of royalty free music and soundtracks that were downloadable for only a few credits.




Before having created the soundtrack, I played existing horror trailers from http://www.apple.com/. I let it play and turned my screen off to allow me to focus mainly on the sound. After listening to 3 different horror trailers, it helped me when it came to actually creating it for myself. However, I thought of challenging conventions and added a deep heart beat tone which put you in the perspective of the killer. The heart beat starts off slowly and then when he finally finds his target his heart rate increases and so does the speed of the footage. I thought of doing this due to the fact that I remembered that our target audience was 15-19 and I wanted it to relate to them. During my research and planning, I found that sound is an important factor and plays a big part in the creepy horror effect of the trailer that I am looking to do.