Monday 5 April 2010

Creating a concept


I began by creating an idea and concept for our slasher horror trailer, in the form of a brainstorm. We wrote down our initial ideas on what we wanted to include based on the research we had been doing in class. For example, we had to take into consideration the conventions of slasher horror and how we would conform to them, challenge them or develop them.

For my original idea, I wasn't to base it on a possible true story or something that audience can relate to. When it came to thinking of a summary of how the movie could go, I thought of the film 'Matilda'.
The part of Matilda that I wanted to follow from, was the fact that she was an unappreciated and neglected child and had problems at school and at home.




I then used research from news reports to think of a way that the storyline could relate to my target audience of teenagers. I looked at the BBC News website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/720707.stm) and found that they found that violent video games can cause agression amongst gamers. I thought this could be a good concept that my killer could have been influenced by.

As I wanted my film to also reach out to young adults as well as my main target audience, I decided to shoot it in an office building, challenging conventions by his victims being adults.

It was decided that we would have a male killer to follow slasher horror stereotypes and conventions, however I didn't want my killer to have a mask. As my killer is just an ordinary boy who had a traumatic past and had been influenced by violent video games to become more aggressive resulting to a sadistic nature. I came up with the idea of my killer's murder weapon being a knife as he was once just a ordinary gamer who was always at home. The idea that a normal kitchen knife which is considered unmenacing then becomes menacing when put in the hands of the killer.