Friday 9 April 2010

Conventional Slasher Horror Killers

I analysed conventional slasher horror killers before choosing my killer to have a wider understanding of what is required in terms of mise-en-scene and character. After having chosen my killers, I looked over my research to make comparisons to see where I challenge or follow conventions.

Freddie Kruger: A Nightmare on Elm Street.


The protagonist, Kruger is dressed in red, symbolising death and blood. He is wearing a black trilby hat which often covers one eye. His face is scarred and distorted, making him look dehumanised, as an outcast in society. His right hand has blades instead of fingers, making him a unique horror figure. His body language suggests that he enjoys killing people and wants to kill anyone which engages the audience well in a sense that they feel scared.

Michael Myers - Friday 13th


The protagonist Myers is dressed in overalls, stating his occupation before he became the evil protagonist of this movie. His face is completely covered by a mask made from cloth with several tears and rips in it. This suggests to the audience that there is a sense of enigma surrounding this character. He stands tall with a muscular frame to portray his strength and in his right hand he has a butchers knife. His body language in the film with certain shots suggesting overriding resilience and strength and a warped mind is suggested through far gazing.

* They are all masked in some way, showing they are emotionless, the victim cannot put a face to their killer as they are dehumanised. - I challenged conventions by choosing to have a killer without a mask. The killer in my film still believes to be in the game and therefore doesn't feel that a mask is necessary. Although a mask can suggest a nonacceptance for the crimes they commit, my killer is not fully aware of what he is doing as he's turned from being in a virtual world to virtual reality.
* They are all male, highlighting superiority factor that men are more powerful and of a higher status. - I followed this convention by using a male killer. I chose to do so as I wanted stereotypical views to be expressed by my target audience when waiting the teaser trailer which is a very short clip.
* They all have physical deformity which may suggest a traumatic past. I slightly challenged conventions. Although my killer has gone through a traumatic past, it is not shown through his appearance as it didn't physically affect him.
* Unmenacing objects then become menacing objects when seen in the hands of the killer. - I followed this convention as I chose an ordinary kitchen knife which is then portrayed differently when it is seen in association with the killer.
* Choice of weapon suggests a sadistic nature of the killer. - My killer's weapon is a knife. This weapon is seen as more sadistic as he has to get close to the victim in order to kill them making it more personal.